Love is...

I did it. I took the 5 Love Languages quiz. I never read the book, but I took the quiz because I must know...do I like Physical Touch more than Receiving Gifts or Quality Time? Words of Affirmation or Acts of Service? What if I like it all? 

What happens when I don't capitalize the love languages? 
  • physical touch
  • receiving gifts
  • quality time
  • words of affirmation
  • acts of service
Now that they are not labels, do they lose their importance? They don't define us they are just a part of us.

Love is Time
Like many others, I began the quiz with expectations based on my past romantic relationships and friendships. My results were many things. I scored points in every category, but ironically my highest scoring love language is Quality Time. According to 5lovelanguages.com, quality time is undivided attention, being fully present and uninterrupted, and sharing to deepen the connection.

Any relationship, whether with human beings or food can strengthen with time. Time to engage and to understand what they are, what they stand for, where they have been, and where they are going. 

Simran Sethi, author of Bread, Wine, Chocolate The Slow Loss of Foods We Love, hones in on the importance of engaging with others and therefore the food they eat to as she explores the powerful connection between food, taste, happiness, and love especially within the context of biodiversity loss and our food system.
Why and how do we engage? -Simran Sethi at TedxCibeles

Love is a lot of things and sometimes it is indulgence. It is enjoyment, passion, and lust. But it is also control, patience, and acceptance. It is understanding what was and what could have been. 

It is Mom's smelly chicken casserole and strip steak.
It is rotten potatoes salad and fish from the lake.
It is give and take.

To me, love is... 
  • Licking an ice-cream cone barefoot 
  • Sipping a glass of cabernet with notes of 'smoky tar' among great conversation and background music
  • Sticking your tongue out to catch warm chocolate dripping off a strawberry
What is your love language?

Good reads: 

Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love by Simran Sethi

When Food Is Love: Exploring the Relationship Between Eating and Intimacy by Geneen Roth

Comments

Popular Posts